Avoid the Dreaded Housing Scam
With more people traveling and searching for temporary housing, it’s inevitable that others may take advantage. That’s why it’s important to always go through a trusted source for your housing arrangements. Work with your recruiter’s recommendations or ask if your agency provides housing options to you. At Freedom, we offer private housing arrangements that work to fit any traveler.
However, we understand these setups don’t always work for everyone. If you’re interested in arranging your own housing options, here’s what you should avoid:
- Offering up personal financial information without contractual obligation
- Answering housing posts with typos or grammar mistakes
- Extremely low (unbelievable) rental rates
- Working with an agent based overseas
- Wiring or sending cash/check amounts
Save that Money
As a traveling healthcare professional, you want to help your patients and see the world while you’re at it. Unfortunately, with lots of travel comes great spending. We’re sure you would rather save some cash for either future endeavors or just to check out the local attractions of your latest assignment.
Choosing your own housing arrangements doesn’t have to break the bank. In fact, it can do the exact opposite and work to make traveling easier and more cash-friendly in the future. This is what you need to do to save:
- Staying long? Look for an apartment with a month to month lease so you can rent accordingly
- Join rewards and benefits programs
- Extended stay hotels
- RV Living for long-term traveling nurses
If you did sign a lease, what can you do to ensure you aren’t stuck if your assignment happens to get cancelled? Your protection lies in the agreement. Make sure to always plan ahead and include a clause in your lease allowing you to cancel without being penalized.
Discovering Your Perfect Fit
Let’s face it, hotels and even apartments aren’t for everyone. Sometimes it’s nice to have somewhere to go that really feels like “home”. Plus, with these the options above, you might need to bring your own appliances or even furniture and that’s a lot to carry around every 13 weeks. However, that doesn’t mean there’s nothing out there for you – it all just takes a little time.
Still haven’t found your dream housing solution? Here a few other methods to try that are sure to help you find your dream location:
- Stipend-based travel nurse housing
- Vacation Rental Websites (perfect for those who want an already furnished household!)
- Agency Placed Housing (not all, but MOST offer this. See what they have for you!)
- Temporary housing sites
Finding adequate housing is important for any medical traveler. It’s the place you get to escape to after a long day or night and finally unwind from the stresses of your shift. So, shouldn’t it be somewhere you look forward going to? Take the strain out of finding the right housing and so much more when you decide to travel with Freedom Healthcare Staffing!